The Eden Alternative
Founded In 1991 by Dr. Bill Thomas, the Eden Alternative has the potential of remaking the experience of aging and disability across America and around the world. Proponents of Eden are dedicated to bringing meaning and fulfillment to the lives of Elders through enlivening environments and eliminating the plagues of Loneliness, Helplessness, and Boredom.
What might be found in an Eden Alternative Residence?
- People of all ages
- Pets such as dogs, cats, birds, and fish
- Plants and gardens with flowers, vegetables, and lots of greenery
- Spontaneous, stimulating activity everywhere
- Elders giving care as well as receiving care
- Family & friends nearby or visiting
- Elders who have the opportunity to grow each day
- Staff who, together with the Elders, decide how life is lived and work is done.
The Eden Alternative evolves and enriches over time to change the culture of long term care. It is similar to planting seeds in a garden. Elders, residents, families, staff, and volunteers help to nurture these “seeds.” The goal is to teach ourselves to see environments as habitats for human beings rather than facilities for the frail and elderly.
With the Eden Alternative as a guide, Elders will grow and be ensured their rightful places of honor and respect.
For more information, visit www.edenalt.com.